Friday, April 17, 2009

The Sea Otter Classic

As I rode into Monterey yesterday, I stopped to take a picture of Monterey beach when a woman with a transportable bike stopped and asked if I would like her to take a picture with me in it. As we talked I found out that she was in town for a bicycle conference. She asked if I was going to the Sea Otter Classic, a well known mountain bike race/festival. I told her I wasn't aware that it was going on, and she said it was just starting. Because she would be able to get another ticket, she kindly gave me her entry ticket. I had been planning to continue to Big Sur, but I saw this as an omen and have decided to stay in Monterey and watch some races and check out the vendors. I may even try to enter a Cat 4 road race, but will probably just spectate at this celebration of cycling!


Coooool.


Sailboats!


My Kestrel would be jealous.

4 comments:

  1. May 21 2007, 07:48 PM
    First: I got a new bike; an Orbea Onyx, Campy group, to replace my very tired and very old Panasonic

    May 21 2007, 08:10 PM
    that looks fast, ever take it over some sweet jumps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you have an Orbea?! I fail to see what Panasonic has to do with this... Alright now I'm just confused but if there's an Orbea in the garage when I get home it's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw; nothing new in garage (except new fork seals on the 550 - yea, that's done!). I didn't know what "Cat4" meant and my post came from a google hit. Some guy was "interested" in bike racing and wanted more info AFTER buying his Orbea (whatever that is). The responding cyclist skewered him with the reference to Napolean Dynamite ("... some sweet jumps").

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice... Yeah some members of the cycling community can definitely be a little rough on people new to the sport, which is unnecessary in my opinion. There is plenty of road for everyone! An Orbea is a really high-end bike (for anyone else who was confused) and CAT 4 is a racing class (CAT 5 is the lowest level, 1 is professional riders, from what I understand).

    That's great to hear about the fork seals, I am stoked to see the 550 on the road soon!

    ReplyDelete