Monday, April 13, 2009

Au Revoir, Napa

After four days of wine tasting, reading, and general lounging, I am back on the road today. I spent last night at the house of a man named Tom, a friend of Alan's who graciously volunteered to let me stay the night. I was offered pretty much every piece of food I could possibly hope to carry let alone eat, and had a hearty breakfast. Tom, not being a coffee drinker, nevertheless woke up early to make a pot for me. If you read this Tom, thank you again! I slept better than I have any night thus far. Tom's house was filled with books and firefighting memorabilia, a throwback to his career as a San Francisco fireman. I was sad to leave Napa, but overjoyed to be pushing pedals again.

I then proceeded to lose my way twice. I ended up in Vallejo and took the ferry to San Francisco; my only other option would have been to backtrack some 15 miles. I also lost my way along the coast, heading unconciously towards Burlingame and finding myself in Milbrae rather than Pacifica (Mom will know what I'm talking about :) ).

After all this, I made my way to the lighthouse at Montara where a hostel has been constructed. As the ocean crashes onto the rocky shore below me, the wind howls and the beacon of light warns lost ships, I sit quietly with the other travelers in front of a large fire, writing letters and reading books.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Trevie- Not quite sure how you ended up in Millbrae rather than Pacifica? Weather is beautiful down here and today I am going with Mom to look at appliances.

    ReplyDelete