Monday, April 6, 2009

Funky Fresh Chico Snakes

Any Sigma Nu, whether on a pilgrimage to visit all houses or just driving through Chico, should make a point to stop at the Iota Kappa Chapter's house. I would like to believe we in Reno would show the hospitality that I received here.

I arrived in the late afternoon. A pledge who had been working hard in the front yard putting in new sod went upstairs and told the President I was asking to see him. I had awoken Nick from a nap, but he still took the time to give me a house tour, trudging around in his pijamas and rubbing his eyes. When I asked if there was a thrift store nearby where I could buy some clothing, he pointed to the Clothing Donation bin the Chapter had set up as part of a community service event. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a shirt. This reminded me pleasantly of my own Chapter, where approximately 80 percent of food collected from a drive will arrive at the homeless shelter. Let this be a warning to concerned food patrons: If you have a bag of Cheetos that you want to give to the homeless, you had better deliver it personally. If you have a bottle of clam juice, we can probably handle it.

Freshly showered and sporting a new-to-me outfit, I was ready to take on the world. We grabbed dinner at an excellent little restaurant downtown, and made our way to a few parties. I slept until noon the next day, gently awoken by whispering pledges standing above me staring, trying to clean the front room for the "Funky-Fresh 90's party" later that day. Apparently Nick had forgotten to tell them I was in town, and they had no idea why a stranger was sleeping on the couch at noon, wearing the exact same shirt one of them had just given away to the homeless.

The entire day was dedicated to the Funky Fresh Party preparations. The Chapter had a very close relation to the house next door to the Chapter house, also owned by the Alumni, where parties with a great number of Sigma Nus took place, in no direct violation with the school's no-alcohol in school sponsored houses rule. Sneaky sneaky Snakes.

The event was well attended and I must have met about 100 people, two of whose names I remember. I slept on my couch again, awoken only at 3 A.M. by Nick asking if I wanted to get Nachos. I had been fast asleep with no notion of wanting nachos, so I gratefully declined. I grabbed a coffee the next morning with a brother and took off down the 32 towards Calusa.

Pictures to come, I promise. Below is the Sigma Nu House, as well as the "next door neighbor's" house.

The House:



The Neighbors:

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you slept inside for a couple of nights.

    ReplyDelete